Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day: Not a Miracle, But Close

Really now, when Dice-K goes and gives up three runs in the first, you generally don't think he's going to pull himself together and give you a near-quality outing. Well, maybe you do, but I don't. There were a couple of cool things going in this game right from the start that should have told me that we would be fine. First, it was, uh, Mother's Day. Second, it was Ernie's birthday. Third, Jose Iglesias was called up for his first stint in the big leagues. We're plus three right off the bat. I'm sure you're wondering why I used Mother's Day as one of my plus points, considering that the Twins have mothers, too. I have no reasoning. It's just one of those things that don't need to make sense, ok?

My favorite captain was the only guy in the original lineup to not have a hit, but that did not mean he didn't have an RBI. Oh, he definitely did! I was shamelessly cheering for him. RBI's are a big deal. He got the scoring started in the third, which ended up being our big inning for the day. If you combine the 5th and 7th, you get the 3rd. So there, actual math! You can't control me! Birthday boy had a big day with three hits (single, home run, single) and two RBI's, making it a very happy birthday indeed. CRW contributed three hits. Youkilis and Papi each had two. It was a very offensive day. The good kind of offensive.

On the pitching side, Dice was able to get through six, Albers went two, allowing one run, and Bard closed it out. One of the fun things was that Iglesias got into the game defensively in the top of the 9th, and he actually got to field the final out. Which reminds me, Scutaro is on the DL, which is why Iglesias was up. Is it just my imagination, or is the DL slowly starting to get crowded again? Hopefully, it's just my imagination. Anyway, Jose fielded the last out with this huge smile on his face. It was nice to see. I like seeing the kids get a chance to shine. They're our future, after all.

It's even better to see the team win a series, so hopefully Josh can get it done. We don't really want to walk away with a split, do we, Josh? No, we don't. I'm not going to be able to watch the game. I'll be next door at the House of Blues with my other obsession, the Deftones, so let's have a Becketesque performance so I can come home to something nice, ok?

No comments: