Monday, May 16, 2011

Beckett: Intimidating

According to the guys on Fox who I could barely stand to listen to, Joshua is the type of guy that you're afraid to talk to during his start days. I can definitely see that. He's got badassery oozing off of him, and no, that's not a personal problem. I guess you could say in this game, Josh was scary good.... or that he was just good.

Despite my unrepentant love for Josh, I didn't have a good feeling about this game. In retrospect the bad feeling was probably about the Bruins game, and my brain just got a little confused. I'm sad for the B's but I'm happy for Beckett. He wasn't as sharp as I would have liked. He only went six when he probably should have gone 7 or 8, but he only allowed four hits. He had that lovely curveball going again. It wasn't as consistent as we've seen in the past, but it was lovely nonetheless. I don't care what you say, Beckett! Your curve is your second best pitch, not your changeup! I will fight you to the death on this matter, even if I'm wrong! One thing I'm not wrong about.... in the neverending rematches of the 2007 ALCS, Josh proves time and time again that he, and not Fatass, is the better pitcher. Let there be no question about that.

The game was a stalemate until the fifth when the Red Sox finally gave up on watching the Bruins game and returned to hitting. With the bases loaded in the fifth, CRW came up and smacked a double to left, allowing two runs to score. It was all we needed as Beckett and the bullpen cowboys posted zeros all night long. Luckily, we threw a few more demoralizing runs on the board against the Yankees, just for good measure. In the seventh, Tek singled in Cameron. There was question whether or not they would credit him with the RBI since Swisher misplayed the ball, but he got his ribby when it was done. Two batters later, Ernie came up and pulled an Ichiro:

"He even said that. He said, 'I'm going to give it a little Ichiro," manager Terry Francona said. "He amazes me. I mean, when you say you're going to do it, and then you do it? That's pretty impressive."
I know I'm not the only one who thinks it's cool that he knows how to pull an Ichiro. I sort of love Ichiro. Whether he's Ichiro or himself, Ernie has been knocking them out pretty consistently in May, and I like it.

Beckett walks away with a win, the Sox inch closer to .500, and Varitek got on base more than once! There was nothing I disliked about this game... except for the announcers and the Posada-drama. He asked out of a game! GTF over it. That's all I'm saying about Chinless. Happiness abounds in Red Sox land. Now.... to the finale!

No comments: