Monday, April 26, 2010

Timmy Wakefield: Deserving of a Better Send-Off

As we all know, Timmy Wonderpitches, AKA Tim Wakefield, has temporarily lost his roster spot and is being shoved into the bullpen. The sentimental side of me thinks this is a horrible injustice, especially after such a well-pitched game on Sunday. But the world is not fair, and there is just no room for Timothy in the rotation right now. I don't doubt for a second that Tim will be back before we know it. He deserves to get those 18 wins that he needs, and the world should be perfect enough to give them to him.

So, about the game.... there's really not much positive to take away from it, but that's not how I roll. Sure, I succumb to moments of weakness where my bitching about the team comes on out, but I try to be a good soldier and be nice to the guys. It was an ugly 10-inning loss in which we saw the Sox go 6 for 18 with runners in scoring position. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but we've been having trouble getting hits with runners in scoring position. Weird. Thirteen hits and six runs, and we still couldn't fend off the O's. Maybe they were just so tired of losing that they decided to fight back for once. Or maybe our bullpen just gagged away the victory.

Tim deserved that win. Why Tito took him out with two outs in the 7th, I do not know. Tito has his reasons, and I'm sure he felt like it was his best move at the time. I really try very hard not second guess Tito. Oki came in and promptly gave up the tying runs. Okajima will hold the game more often than not, but he just furthers the point that our bullpen is a little scary even though it shouldn't be. And with the talent we have in there, it should not be scary. Maybe Timmy will give us some stability in that sense. I can hope, right? But it does look like Scott Atchinson is going to be hitting the road, so if he is indeed done in Boston, I wish him well.

Speaking of hitting the road... Alan Embree seems primed to hitch hike on out of Pawtucket. He wants a call up to the bigs, but it doesn't look like he's going to get it. Besides, Theo doesn't take kindly to ultimatums. Not that I approve of what Theo does, but even I know he won't respond to threats.

There's not really much I can say about the game that hasn't been said. It was ugly. We shouldn't have lost it, but we did, so we move on. As I type this, the Monday night game has already started. Yeah, I'm a tad behind. It's cool, I'll catch up.

I just really hate to see Tim Wakefield sad... and by all accounts, that's exactly what he is.

No comments: