Monday, April 5, 2010

Ace: Ours For For More Years


So, they finally announced that Beckett has agreed to the contract extension that would give him $68M over the next four years. You bet I'm thrilled! No, really, I'm not being sarcastic. Of course, if you've ever read this blog, you'd know, but I LOVE Beckett. I absolutely adore him.

There's nothing more endearing to me than a power pitcher. I love pitching. I love good pitching. While Beckett's start last night wasn't 'good', you know damn well that he's going to be better than that. There are no indications that would point to him having a less than good year, other than the fact that this is an even-numbered year and Beckett doesn't shine as brightly in the off-years... Though in all fairness, his 2008 campaign was much closer to good than his 2006 campaign, when he posted a 5.01 ERA. So, with every passing even-numbered year, Beckett gets a little better. This also means that we have our rotation wrapped up with a group of workhorses (assuming they all stay healthy) for the long run. Then, there's Wakefield, who will be around for this year and next. After that, we clear some space for the new guys coming up from the minors. But we're set. Our starting rotation is awesome!

So, rejoice, Red Sox Nation. The once and future ace is secure in our grasp until 2014. Maybe by then I'll be ready to let go of him. Probably not, but maybe.

No comments: