Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jon Lester: Tricky Little Monkey

Trust me, I'm aware that I'm two days late posting my review of Monday's game. Sometimes I have a life and it gets in the way of writing. Not often, but this week it has. Grad school is sort of killing me mentally at this point, but I'm determined to keep up my posting, at least for April.

Jon was horrible on Monday. I'm not going to sugar coat it. First pitch balls to just about everyone... his location was way off. There was no execution of those pitches. As a matter of fact, he was so off, he didn't even get to talk about executing pitches as far as I heard. I know it's his favorite phrase, so to not be able to use it probably caused him physical harm. I was watching him pitch on Monday and silently wondering to myself if he's making a case to get Varitek more work. Admittedly I was not closely paying attention to what Vic was calling for in terms of pitch selection. I can't imagine that he was calling that bad of a game. Part of it had to be the lack of pitch execution. But we all know Josh likes pitching to Tek and he got to do just that on Saturday and ended up with a win. Maybe Jon was passive aggressively complaining about the unequal treatment between him and his twin. They're the same person, they should be treated the same, right? I don't know.

Not that Victor has made a extremely convincing argument that he should be the starter over Tek, but deep down, we all know he should be. Varitek is 38 years old; he just can't play every game the way he used to. I don't dislike Victor, but he is (I believe) 1 for 10 with SB's. Varitek probably could muster up similar numbers. I'm just saying. Plus, I'm in love with Varitek, and I'm not at that level with Victor yet. I don't know if I ever will be. We'll see if he gets a new contract at the end of the season.

So, I'm going to make a really stupid joke of a statement right now. I needed to preface the actual statement with a warning, because I really don't want people to think I'm serious.... here goes. Rememeber the warning:

I think David Ortiz needs to aspire to get no more RBI's for the season. Not for nothing, but every game where Papi gets an RBI, we lose. Small sample size be damned. Being reactionary is the best way to go here. We need to not allow him to swing the bat with runners on base, because if he brings a run in, we'll lose. It's happened twice already so we can expect it to happen continuously for the rest of the season, right? Right. Yay for being panicky for no reason!

And not for nothing, but the entire team played ridiculously sloppily. I was fairly sure that all of them were drunk and just flopping themselves around the field in a hopeless effort to make it look like they hadn't spent the entire afternoon drinking. It's Josh. He's a bad influence. Maybe they'll have sobered up by today.

I watched a little bit of the Dodgers-Diamondbacks game yesterday on MLBN. I'll tell ya, of all the things I miss about Manny, one of the things I miss most is having the privilege of watching that sweet swing. No one has a sweeter swing. People say Drew has it, but without Manny's swagger, it's not as impressive. June 18th sure can't come fast enough.

So, Lackey takes on Slowey in about twenty minutes in the battle of people who have names that sound like really strange adjectives of some kind. Should be good. I won't be able to watch it, but perhaps I can catch the replays. Man, having a day job is a bummer sometimes. You're wondering why I'm posting right now then, huh? Shush, I get a lunch break.

No comments: