Thursday, January 8, 2009

Smoltz and Baldelli: The Targets of "Sources"

I don't know who these "sources" are, but they are claiming that both John Smoltz and Rocco Baldelli are nearing contract agreements with my beloved BoSox.

Can Baldelli catch? I'm not too sure about that. Kidding aside, if these deals go through, I'll be happy. I not-so-secretly was hoping that John Smoltz would come here. I've had great respect for him throughout his career and would love to see what he could do in Boston. Granted, he would be the sixth starter on a team with fairly good pitching depth (we can always spot start Fetus, or bring up Dahmer, or even Bowden... ). Rumor has is that the Sox are offering him one year, $5.5 million. I feel that's pretty fair for a veteran coming off of shoulder surgery.

As for Baldelli, I liked him in Tampa, even with his limited playing time in the last few years. I don't know much about his mitochondrial disorder, but obviously our GM is confident that it won't be much of a problem.

I do hope these signings work out, because these are two of the guys I kind of hoped we would sign. I guess I'll have to stop picking on Theo for a while if he gets it done.

In other news: Steroid Monkey and his personal steroid trainer are headed back to Oakland.
-JC Romero was suspended 50 games for a positive banned substance test. He denies that he did anything wrong. I actually liked Romero during his time with us, so I'm sort of disappointed on this one...
-Phillies signed Chan Ho Park to a one year deal
-The Brewers, according to "source" are looking to be in line to land Trevor Hoffman. Didn't they already have a closer last year who blew a bunch of saves? What was his name?....
-Carl Pavano signed with the Indians. I think the Indians also signed Kerry Wood a while back. They also got Mark DeRosa from the Cubs. I'm not sure that any of these moves improves them significantly.

Just for the hell of it, I was reading this blog a little while ago. I couldn't tell whether to laugh or shake my head sadly. Specifically this line "It's time for Pettitte to live up to his reputation of being one of the few good, and honest people in sports."

... seriously? This guy is an admitted cheater. Just because he fessed up ONCE HE WAS CAUGHT doesn't make him a good, honest guy. It makes him just like any other player who tried to get ahead the wrong way. What has he done that makes him so good and honest? And why should he care if the Yankees want him to accept their little 10 million dollar offer if he thinks he can get more elsewhere. Loyalty has proven to be a bad move for players. Baseball is a business. Everyone knows that. Pettitte doesn't owe the Yankees anything, and people who think he does are just as delusional as the Steinbrenners.

This blog makes the following points: The Yankees were loyal to Pettitte... except in 2003 when he was looking to re-sign with them. They supported him after he got caught cheating by giving him a few days off. Pettitte can only continue being a good and honest man if he takes a six million dollar pay cut. Andy OWES it to the team (who, as you remember, are loyal to him when it's convenient for them) to take their offer. Incredible. I... I don't even know what else to say about this. I feel sort of sad for the person who wrote it, because it's obvious that he's been brainwashed. NO player owes a team anything after their contract has expired. I don't even like Pettitte and I'm here defending him. This is ridiculous. I'm going to stop now.

That's all for right now. It's still early in the morning. Maybe more will happen towards the afternoon.

WE STILL NEED A CATCHER.

No comments: