Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dougie Mirabelli: He Wins Games For Us

Oh my, Dougie was in the house last night... not the House that Ruth built, that place isn't good enough for him. Nor was he in MY house, because, well, God just doesn't grant those kinds of wishes (yet). No, Dougie, our BELOVED Dougie, was at the Fens. There is no way anyone could convince me that he's not the reason we won the game. I think it was all the more justifying having him there and watching Cash almost blow the game. If Dougie were catching, Lester wouldn't have given up five runs. That's bad game-calling, Cash. And it's because you suck. Dougie, on the other hand, does not suck. He fills our lives with love and happiness and knuckleball catching to a degree that you will NEVER understand. At times, he filled our lives with magnificent home runs, and snazzy pin-striped suits. What does Cash fill our lives with? Nothing, really. Nothing but disappointment. So, there's my obligatory Douglas Anthony Mirabelli praising. It will never be enough, but at least it's something, right?

Kurt Wagner actually won a game for us last night. Way to go, Kurt! Honestly, I was starting to wonder if the kid had it in him. The answer: sure, why not. We needed a win, Kurt got us a win (with help, of course, from the aforementioned Dougie).

Just in general, seeing the guys get timely hits makes me feel good. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, kind of the way you feel on Christmas morning when you realize that yes, you do have the day off from work, and the Monopoly board is coming out of retirement! That can't be only me, can it? Everyone loves Monopoly.

Manny hitting that 2-run home run came exactly thirty seconds after I mumbled the phrase "Geez, when's the last time this team hit a home run." It was nice timing, and it made my pseudo-bitterness disappear completely.

Top that with (I can't believe I'm even going to write this) a Yankee win, and I'm feeling pretty good about the baseball activities of yester-night. Even if Papelbon did allow a baserunner. It's all good, folks. May Doug be with you. (and also with me!)*

Disclaimer: No, I do not think Dougie is God, or god-like. But I'm sure God does LIKE Dougie. How can he not? Doug was made in his image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it: Dougie is God.