Friday, July 8, 2011

I Sort Of Love The Orioles: Also, The Rays Right Now.

That's not me being obnoxious or sarcastic. I legitimately sort of love the Orioles. They're like my backup team. I know, the general rule is one favorite from the AL, one favorite from the NL but I just kind of have a soft spot for them. They've got a beautiful ball park in a beautiful city, and they tend to get at least a few players that I like (MILLAR!) once in a while. I like going to Camden Yards even when the Sox aren't playing there. The Orioles are just kind of delightful.

Also, right now, it doesn't hurt them that they feature my coveted shortstop and they let us win to get back to the top of the division before the ASB. Us being number one is also why I sort of love the Rays. That affection will fade quickly, because I don't enjoy the Rays in any capacity when they aren't doing something to positively effect my team.

I'm also a huge fan of my team hitting six home runs in a single night, with three that went back-to-back-to-back (nice work, Papi, Reddickulous, and Salty) because that generally means that I don't have to worry about who's coming out of the bullpen. Keep in mind, I still shut the game off when Jenks came in. I had to, for the sake of my own sanity, not watch him. It would have ruined the delightful glow of home run hitting that the game had going for it. Aside from the B-2-B-2-B HR's, Pedroia also took one completely out of the park over the monster, Pretzels hit his second in two days, and Ernie showed everyone that he was just fine with a solo shot of his own. All those homers and an RBI groundout from Drew, and your final score is 10-4 Sox, America.

The offense saved Andrew Miller from his first loss. He had a bit of a rough night, with his pitch count rising very high early on. He only made it through five, and he walked more (4) than he allowed hits (3), but he was still able to come away with the win. I enjoy the offense when they pick up the kid pitchers on bad nights. It's good for all involved... except the opposing team, I guess.

Beckett vs. Britton tonight. I'm sure you know who I have my hypothetical money on.

No comments: