Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hey Now: You're An All-Star

Get your game on, go play. I'm talking to you, Papi. And you, Ernie, And definitely you, Joshua Patrick. And sort of you, Pretzels.

Sorry, I know... I really like my outdated references. I just can't help myself! It's a sickness. If I ever make a relevant reference, I might be scared. But don't you think Smash Mouth deserves a shout-out on a baseball blog around the All-Star break every once in a while? I do.

The rosters are now almost set, and your starting fielders for the silly, useless game are as follows:

C Alex Avila Tigers
1B Adrian Gonzalez Red Sox
2B Robinson Cano Yankees
3B Alex Rodriguez Yankees
SS Derek Jeter Yankees
OF Jose Bautista Blue Jays
OF Curtis Granderson Yankees
OF Josh Hamilton Rangers
DH David Ortiz Red Sox

I love that Alex Avila made the cut, because he DESERVES to be there. As much as I can't stand Cano, I guess I can justify him being there. Even A-Rod. I can't stand him, but I can't deny he's talented... even if that talent was delivered to him via syringe. But this isn't about steroids. I don't even care about steroids or A-Rod, or Cano. No, what really really boils my blood is Jeter's inclusion. Shame on you, everyone who voted for him just because his name is Derek Jeter. He's an awful shortstop, and he can no longer hit. He's no longer an elite player. He's marginal at best, and that's only with a bat. On the field, he's one step from being inept. All-star? Are you kidding me? He's getting close to not even being a starter. Shameful. And THAT is why I don't vote for the All Star game, because no matter how many times I vote, Jeter still gets in. It's less of an honor for everyone else knowing that Jeter is there.

Guys, Jeter sucks. It's true. He didn't always suck, but he does now, and it's time to accept it!

Anyway, I'm happy to see Bautista going, because again, he deserves it. I think Granderson's resurgence with the Yankees is a little suspect, and I don't like him, so I don't want him there. And Josh Hamilton is a drug-abusing, lying fraud and I will always root against him. So there's that. As for the other players from the AL that made it, I'll let MLB.com tell you about that:

The AL pitching staff consists of: starters Josh Beckett (Red Sox), Gio Gonzalez (Athletics), Felix Hernandez (Mariners), David Price (Rays), James Shields (Rays), Justin Verlander (Tigers), Jered Weaver (Angels) and C.J. Wilson (Rangers); and relievers Aaron Crow (Royals), Brandon League (Mariners), Chris Perez (Indians), Mariano Rivera (Yankees) and Jose Valverde (Tigers).

And the backup position players are: catchers Russell Martin (Yankees) and Matt Wieters (Orioles); infielders Adrian Beltre (Rangers), Asdrubal Cabrera (Indians), Miguel Cabrera (Tigers) and Howard Kendrick (Angels); outfielders Michael Cuddyer (Twins), Jacoby Ellsbury (Red Sox), Matt Joyce (Rays) and Carlos Quentin (White Sox); and DH Michael Young (Rangers).
I haven't yet seen news of who the starting pitcher will be, but I don't think that any one of those pitchers would be a bad choice. And can I just say, I'm going to miss seeing Ichiro at the ASG? I can? Good.

I'm going to miss seeing Ichiro at the ASG.

Also, in case anyone cares, the AL team for the Home Run Derby will consist of last year's champion, David Ortiz, as the captain and Jose Bautista and Adrian Gonzalez as.... well, his crew, I guess. A captain's got to have a crew. Good lord, I have been writing a LOT this morning. Nervous energy, I guess.

No comments: