Monday, March 29, 2010

Mayor's Cup: Most Important Thing Ever To The Red Sox (Right Now)

More accurately, it was the most important thing ever to the Red Sox yesterday when we won the wicked beast for the fifth year in a row. It is a fantastic honor, or something like that, to win the Mayor's Cup from the Twins, because hell... if they get the players I want, we should be able to have a shiny cup. It's only fair.

I don't know if anyone else was watching the little promo before the game started where they showed Papi, Beckett, Dice-K, Justin Morneau, and Joe Mauer talking about the importance of the cup... suffice it to say, I thought it was really funny. Worth watching twice, anyway. I giggled when Beckett said that the cup was the most important thing in the world to him. Then he smiled. That was admittedly bizarre, because I don't know, Beckett's just not supposed to smile. I suppose he's entitled to joy on occassion. However, I will continue to demand game-face Commander from here on out.

Speaking of Beckett, as I usually am, I have to say very, very bad job, Red Sox. I hope the rumor that they refuse to go to five years with Beckett is just that - a rumor. Seriously? He's our ace. I don't care about his ERA over his first four seasons with the Sox. He damn well should have won the Cy Young in 2007. Granted, 2006 sucked, and 2008 was not impressive, but he was good last year! Fifty percent of his years with us, he is going to be nails. Hard nails. Super awesome nails. You can't just get nails like that anywhere. Now that I've completely lost hold of what my point was, I'll move on to say this: Beckett deserves five years, because I am incredibly biased and I say he does. He's my favorite pitcher to watch. I want to keep him simply for the fact that I want to, and I think the Red Sox should agree with me on this. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do.

Really the only thing I care about right now is the fact that we are a mere six days and ten hours away from actual, God-honest, meaningful baseball. It's been such a long off-season I can hardly process the fact that we're starting the real season. I'm so excited that I could almost find myself cheering for Dahmer. Almost. When he shows me that he's worth cheering for, he'll get my praise and approval. And seriously? I'm not all that hard to win over, so the fact that he hasn't won me over yet worries me. But we'll get there. I just know it.

No comments: