Monday, October 20, 2008

Jup's Lament: Hello, end of the season

I don't think it should have ended like this, but our guys just weren't hungry enough. They were too beat up, too tired to manage more than one hit against Garza for something like 7 innings. And in the 8th, when Drew struck out with the bases loaded, I knew it was over. They had nothing left.

And I was sad. I really was. Jon Lester did his best, but yet again, they only scored him one run. I'm not the kind of person who likes to give credit to my opponent, so I won't, because I'm just like that. It's not that they didn't deserve it (I don't think they did), it's just that the Sox couldn't do it any more.

So I commiserated with my friend Dave via the handy interwebs. And I drank. I apparently didn't drink enough to help me pass out, because I didn't sleep. I went over in my head everything they did wrong, and everything they could have done better, despite the fact that none of their actions are within my control. I did manage to fall asleep somewhere around 5 AM, and my 5:50 alarm woke me up to the song "Poor Jack" off of the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack. And you know what? It actually made me feel a lot better.

For those of you who don't know it, I'll re-print the lyrics that are applicable to this situation....

"But I never intended all this madness,
never,and nobody really understood,
well, how could they?
That all I ever wanted
was to bring them something great.
Why does nothing ever turn out like it should?
Well, what the heck, I went and did my best.
And by God, I really tasted something swell.
And for a moment, why,I even touched the sky
and at least I left some stories they can tell,I did."

No, I'm sure the Sox didn't intend this madness, and they did try to bring us something great. They tried their hardest to get to the World Series again, and fell just short.

And, oh, the stories we have left to tell from this post-season! From the five-run come back, to Ellsbury's 3-run single, I sure have some great memories. And next year, when most of our team is healthy again, we'll make another run at it.

But for now, Go Phillies.

And thanks, Red Sox, for a pretty good season.

No comments: