Thursday, October 2, 2008

Jon Lester: 2008 Red Sox Ace

Goodness, another post about Jon Lester? It can't be! Oh, but it is.

I have to say, I don't remember falling asleep. I remember the 5th inning, and then when I woke up it was 5:45 AM, and I had no idea who won. What I did know was that I was happy with Jon. He got himself into a few jams, but as usual, he managed his way out of them. Is there a Sox fan alive who doesn't consider Jon their ace this year?

(For the record, I hate that I can't access any of my pictures from here. I've got SO MANY pictures of Jon!)

So Kazerud, in his very first playoff game that he didn't have to buy a ticket to, hit a game-winning HR. Sure, the Sox scored a few more runs after that, but we didn't need them. One two-run home run was all it took and, BOOM, we're up 1-nothing. Don't get me wrong, this is by no means a decisive victory. We still need to play 2 more games at minimum. We haven't won anything yet, but oh man, do we want to!

Game 2: Dice-K vs. Santana. We haven't faced Santana this year, so hopefully (and undoubtedly) the Sox are watching tons of video to prepare. What I expect: I expect Dice-K to throw roughly 100 pitches, hopefully in 6 innings, walk a few guys, strike out at least four, and get the win. Now, I wait to see what really happens.

I watched the Cubs/Dodgers game the other night... rather, I tried to, but I couldn't get far into it. Seeing Manny in that uniform, hustling and working really hard made me upset. I know, I KNOW he played that hard in the playoffs for us each and every time. I would never say Manny dogged any playoff game (and don't even go to the longest single in playoff history bullshit), so I'm not surprised to see him doing well for them. At the same time, the glowing praise about how he saved the Dodgers really got under my skin. More than the fact that I knew it was true, he did save the Dodgers, was the fact that he just couldn't stick it out here. He didn't have enough respect for his teammates in Boston, or the fans at Fenway to just finish up the year and THEN throw a hissy fit. You can't tell me you wouldn't feel better about facing the Angels with Manny in the lineup. Don't get me wrong, I like Kazerud, and I think it's awesome that we are getting to watch his first playoff games. I just will always miss Manny, I guess (even when he says things just to hurt me).

Go Kazerud! Win yourself a World Series, and make the people of Boston happy once more!

Oh, and for those audience members who still love and cherish Ducky, please watch this video. You'll enjoy it. My apologies if the link doesn't work.

No comments: