Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mike Lowell: He Knows If You've Been Bad Or Good...

So, did anyone see the four screaming people right behind Mike Lowell's home run on Saturday's game? No? Well, that was me and my friends. A story...



So, our first four batters had failed to reach base, or to work the pitch count very effectively, so Mike Lowell is striding up to the plate, and I start making comments about how none of them are man enough to hit the ball out of the outfield, and how Mikey wasn't going to do anything. Mind you, I was kidding and I said it in good humor because it's pretty well documented how much I like Mikey. When it got to 0-2, I said something like "See, 0-2, he's not gonna do anything." And then a few seconds later, he hits a screaming line drive home run just feet from my head. We should have caught the ball. If we had caught it, it wouldn't have had to be reviewed, but if it wasn't reviewed, then we would have never been on TV, and the story wouldn't be as exciting.



If the ball had been left as a double, I would have been beside myself with anguish, but truth be told, I don't play sports because I have no talent for catching or throwing or anything of that sort. Luckily, they got the call right and they gave him the home run. We weren't even supposed to be sitting in those seats. We had standing room tickets, but sat in those seats an hour before game time and no one ever asked us to move. I just remember watching the ball coming in, thinking it was going to die down before the wall, and then my eyes going wide when I realized that it was still coming right at us. We screamed. It was scary. My friends yelled at me to never taunt Mike Lowell again. And I will not.



After that, we had a good story to tell, and pictures because my friend's father had taken a screen shot of us on TV and texted it to my friend. It was very cool, indeed. One of the Fenway Foto people came up to us at the end of the game and asked if we were the girls who almost got hit by Mikey's home run. We were famous.



Anyway, Jon Lester was beyond brilliant yesterday. I had been at his no-hitter, and it's safe to say that he was far more dominant last night than he was at his no no. Having a perfect game through 6 1/3... I really couldn't have asked for more. I think we gave him a three minute standing ovation after he gave up the hit. I was so proud of him, and he pitched one hell of a game. The strike outs were just piling up. His velocity and his location were brilliant. He just made it look easy against a pretty good Texas team. He deserved that win. His ERA is now 5.09, which is a hell of a lot better than it was a few weeks ago. I wanted the perfect game, or the no hitter, or the shutout, but I'll happily settle for a win and for the knowledge that he's now pitched two incredibly good games in a row. You will get no complaints out of me.



Yeah, Ortiz's home run might have been a cheap one, but a week ago, that would have been a foul ball. I think that was one of the best signs... cheap hits. It doesn't matter how they come, as long as they come.



All in all a great day at the ballpark. I'm happy I was there for it, and I will never... EVER mock Mike again.

No comments: