Friday, May 7, 2010

Remy: "I've Had Enough of This Game"

Because Don and Jerry cannot focus in a game where nothing is going on, we get the brilliant line above from Rem Dawg. He had just been laughing for maybe about three hours over the size of Don's hairbrush. Once you get to that point, baseball just isn't going to bring you back. Luckily for us, the Sox were ahead, and all was well in the land of Fenway.

Seriously. All was well. Daisuke-san bounced back from his absolutely atrocious first inning. That was a bad inning. But he made up for it, and went four and one third more, giving up only one more run. Sure, MDC gave up the home run that brought Dice's inherited runner home and couldn't find the plate to save his life in the 7th, but it's ok because Oki got out of it for him with a very clean and wonderful 2/3rds. Rambo came in for two innings and mostly shut the Angels down, though he did give up two hits and a walk. All in all, the pitching was better than I expected from us. It's nice to not have to use your entire bullpen in a game where we needed someone warming up in the first. And not for nothing, but Rambo has been pitching very well lately. Props to the bullpen for doing a great job!

Kazmir actually lasted one fewer inning than Dice. No, I'm not joking! He was wild. His pitches were all over the place. I mean, he walked five guys so that's a pretty strong indicator that his location was way off. I don't mind. I went into the game expecting a loss, and I got a win from our boys, so I'm happy. I'm glad Kazmir couldn't get out of the fifth inning. I'm glad the Angels bullpen is horrible. I'm glad that in this series, the Sox have gotten at least 11 hits every night. I don't feel bad for the Angels. They're only four games out of first, and we're like, eight*, so having our offense and pitching click on a week where we face the Yankees and Angels isn't a bad thing.

*Disclaimer: I have no idea how many games behind Tampa we are. I don't want to know either. Until we start pulling up closer to them, I'm not going to worry about it.

Youk got hit with a pitch. Again. So no, it's not just our imaginations. He really does lead the team in HBP's. VMart lead the way with RBI's, racking up four on the night. That includes his 2-run home run in the bottom of the third. That home run was his second of the year, and first since April 6th. That's right. In the time Victor managed to hit two home runs, Varitek has hit five. I'm making no comments on this situation. All you need to know is that I love Tek. Wolverine pitched in big last night again also, with three RBI's coming on a single and an Angels' fielding error. Hey, we'll take runs any way we can get them. We were 4 for 16 with RISP, which isn't great, but it's not horrible either. This team has really pulled themselves together in the last few days. Lets hope they can keep this up, because winning is fun, and sweeping teams is way more enjoyable than being swept.

Beckett on the mound tonight against Phil Hughes. Hughes has got good numbers on the season, but I didn't look deep into them so I don't know how he's pitched. All I know is that Beckett can beat them if he wants to. Also at 7 on the ice, Bruins go for the sweep of the Flyers in game 4 of the semi-finals. They'll have to do this without Davie Krejci and Marco Sturm, whose names I had to look up because I don't follow hockey. Celtics are, I believe tied 1-1 in their series with Cleveland. Tonight they're home at the Garden looking to get an edge in the series. I have no thoughts about these games, I'm just stating facts.

PS - ONE GAME OVER .500!

No comments: