Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dave Roberts: Deserves All The Best Wishes In The World

I know I'm a little late on the breaking news here, but Dave Roberts has been diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma. Dave Roberts did so much for the city of Boston with his one steal... The Steal... that he's something of a local hero. I feel a little bit horrible pairing his well-wishes with a description of one tiny event in his life, but it truly, honestly meant the world to us. Sox fans more than likely would not have seen that 2004 championship without that one moment, so we cherish Dave around here.

Sure, he wasn't super fantastic as a commentator, but not everyone is cut out for that line of work. By all accounts, Dave Roberts is a great guy, and it makes me sad that cancer strikes good people. Just another reason to donate to the Jimmy Fund when the time comes around.

I was trying to put together a play on words, saying something like he can steal a clean bill of health the way he stole second, but I think I'll just quote Tito on this instead...

"I expect Dave can probably outrun anything," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said before Monday night's game against the Los Angeles Angels. "I know we've got a lot of people pulling for him here. He probably knows that - everywhere he's been."


Prayers and all the positive energy in the world to Dave Roberts right now. Let's hope he recovers from this quickly and can get back to normal. We're all cheering for you, Dave.

No comments: