Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Manny: Back In Baseball

It's official. Manny Ramirez will negate his retirement and make his return to professional baseball, signing a minor-league deal with the Oakland A's worth $500,000.

Manny is as polarizing a figure as any baseball player. Most hate him. Lots are just sick of him... and then there are folks like me. While I have long since grown weary of his ridiculousness, there is that part of me deep down in my baseball-loving soul that will always love Manny despite his stupidity. He was the center of so many of my favorite baseball memories, no matter how sick of him I get, I can't hate him. Trust me, I've wanted to. Never have I been so disgusted with a player and not been able to muster up the hate.

Much like my best friend is forever forgiving of Roger Clemens, I guess Manny just gets a permanent pass in my book.

I welcome him back to baseball with open arms, but I have a baseball cap and dark sunglasses on so no one can recognize me. It's my dirty little (no-so)secret. I love Manny Ramirez and his gorgeous swing. I just wish he wouldn't do such boneheaded things. Here's to salvaging what's left of your reputation, Manny. Do it cleanly. Please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your loyalty to Manny is quite admirable. I don't have a problem with him trying to play baseball again. I do have some "pain" reserved for the A's, who are trying to create interest in a 100-loss team in this manner. I have fond memories of following them during the dynasty years of the early 70's and can't believe "what is left" of this franchise now.