Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Beckett: Securely In Camp

Spring training is a wonderful time for me, as I'm sure it is for most fans. When the season ends, there's a lot of confusion. For some seasons, the end brings a lot of anger and anonymous sources and rumors and general unpleasantness. I get pretty reactionary, though I try not to. Usually by spring training, I have my feelings on each player sorted pretty thoroughly.

While yes, I agreed that Josh didn't help the team in September and his attitude probably wasn't a positive thing in the clubhouse. For about a week, I was convinced it might be time to part with Beckett. For the rest of the winter, I tried not think about what pieces should be moved to bring the best out of the team. Now, spring training is on the verge of commencement and I can say, I am as happy as I've ever been that Beckett is in camp.

According to a bunch of people whose opinions probably don't matter all that much to me, Beckett looked good throwing 50 pitches out of the pen. That's the kind of news about Beckett that I want to hear.

Of course, Lester was in camp earlier than Josh, so the reporters, if they so choose, could have a field day writing about how Jon is more motivated for the season than his right handed counterpart.

To be clear, I don't believe that for a moment. I'm just sort of waiting for one of the sports writers to get on it. Any minute now.

Four more days till the rest of the pitchers and catchers join the few ultra-motivated individuals who are already there. Guys, I can't wait. The hunger for baseball... it's rising again and I won't be able to quell it. Opening day can't get here soon enough.

No comments: