Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Beckett: Hard Headed

Thanks, Ino Guerrero, for beaning our "ace" pitcher the day after his first spring training start. Just what we need.... more medical concerns. I thought we were starting with a clean slate this year! Someone please get the memo down to Fort Myers. For sanity's sake, please keep Ino away from Jon and Clay.

Tito was thankful that the ball hit Josh's head and not his shoulder. Due to his hard head, Tito suspects he'll be fine. I'm sure he will be, but this just isn't the kind of news I want to hear in March. Or ever.

Still... OMGBASEBALL! The boys managed victory against college kids in a split-squad double header on Saturday. Kevin Youkilis smacked the first home run of the pre-season with a three-run shot in the first inning of the first game. THAT is the kind of news I want to hear. Home runs and happiness, not bean-balls and badness. I was going for alliteration, but I still apologize for use of the word 'badness.'

Now, we're in the midst of Mayor's Cup Madness, and everyone in the entire world is waiting with baited breath to see who's taking home the cup this year. So far, the Sox and Twins are tied with one win apiece. The Twins took the Mayor's Cup opener on Sunday, in which Josh Beckett (pre-concussion) pitched two innings and allowed one run on two hits. During the Sox's 7-6 win against the Twins on Monday, Papi hit a three-run home run (if 3-run home runs become a habit with this team, I'll be ok with that), and Reddick hit a game-winning 2-run shot of his own. Jon Lester pitched today in a game that is going on as I type this. He threw 27 pitches in 2 innings of work (VERY economical. I am pleased!) So far, the Sox have taken a 1-0 lead going into the fourth. The best thing in the world right now is knowing that there is baseball to be followed. Hooray for spring!

And hooray for Beckett having a hard head! Seriously, I don't think I can handle any DL trips for any of my favorites right now....

No comments: