Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rest In Peace, Carl Beane

I know I haven't had time to post a lot, but the tragedies that have happened in the sports world lately deserve at least a few words.

I was out shopping for new apartment stuff (like curtains... you don't realize how important curtains are until you don't have them) and a TV on in one of the stores was talking about the death of Carl Beane. I had to stop and ask the guy behind the register what happened. Car accident. I would find out later that it was a heart attack that caused the car accident. It's a terrible, tragic loss. Carl was too young to be lost.

I guess that's the nature of tragedy. It takes people who are too young whenever it pleases. It turns a routine drive home into a nightmare. It leaves wives without husbands, daughters without father, and grandchildren without a grandpa. It also leaves Fenway without a voice.

I'm going to the game tonight, if it doesn't get rained out. I know that they will do the right thing and have a moment of silence for Mr. Beane. The more appropriate action would be to leave the park in silence for the night. For me, and for so many others, Carl was the voice of that old park. His narration at the 100th anniversary brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautiful.

All I can hope is that tonight, they win for Carl. Even if they do, it just won't sound the same. Rest in peace, Carl Beane. Fenway will never sound the same without you.

No comments: