Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Josh Beckett: Destroyer of Souls

Truth be told, I'm not sure I've ever seen Joshua actually destroy a soul. I wouldn't even know how he'd begin to do that. I think the closest he ever came was during the 2007 ALCS against the Indians. I felt that he completely shattered their souls in game 5. You, of course, remember game 5. He was definitely a destroyer of souls on that night. So maybe last night he didn't destroy them. Maybe he just bruised them. It definitely was not his best game of the year, with only 4 K's, but it was really good. His super awesome ERA is down to 3.62. May 5th, just a little more than two months ago, it was 6.75. There's just no way you aren't impressed with the way he's flipped this season around.

Yes. I admit it. I love ERA. I'm not a big stat person. Numbers generally confuse me, but man, can I get behind something as simple as ERA. Don't judge me.

Was it just my imagination, or did Beckett seem mad last night? I am not complaining, not at ALL, because I enjoy Josh when he's angry. I think he's a better pitcher when he pitches a little bit mad. However, he's been very good this year about keeping his emotions under control, moreso than in previous years, and to see him swearing on the mound last night after not really making many mistakes was surprising. When he's pitching well, which he was last night, and he's still angry? Well, that's when I love him the most.

On a completely unrelated matter, it was nice to see Munchkin in the lineup last night, because that means that his wife is doing better.

The key to our series is All-Star Tim Wakefield. Awesome, huh?

No comments: