Thursday, October 1, 2009

Timothy: Better Not Go Out Like That

I will not accept it. That was not the end of Timmy Wonderpitches, and we all know it. The man will come back next year, win 15 games, and get his name at the top of that All-Time Red Sox Wins list like he deserves. And then he can go out in glory.

Who am I kidding? The personal awards and accolades have always been more important to me (and most fans) than to Tim. He doesn't care if he gets that record. All he cares about is that he's been able to put on his cleats and call himself a Red Sox (sock? Still not sure what sounds right to me) for fourteen years. Love him or hate him, you know he's never made it about himself. That's why it's our responsibility as loyal fans to do just that.

I want the record for him. I want to see him go out a winner, on top, not as a sad, injured man who only goes three innings. I will not accept that reality. And as much as he doesn't want to make it all about him, I suspect that he doesn't want to accept that reality either. Besides, he's a knuckleball pitcher, and they're generally made out of magic and slow moving fast balls, so he can stretch it out a little while longer. No one wants to see that be his last game... except maybe this one guy I know, but he doesn't count.

So, we've lost 6 games in a row. You know what that means, right? We're just due for a long winning streak!

No comments: