Tuesday, July 13, 2010

David Ortiz: Giving A Huge Middle Finger To The Doubters

My faith may have wavered slightly in Papi way back in April. I can't remember the exact date, but it was basically the breaking point when people on the fence quit on him, and people like me who would never quit on him began to feel a nagging doubt in the back of their minds that Papi was ever going to be the same. To me, it didn't entirely matter if he wasn't the same guy. I was going to love him and cheer for him forever based on his accomplishments in the past, but I'm aware that many people do not feel that way. It made me incredibly sad to hear the way people were talking about him. I said a little prayer every morning that the Sox would not release him or do something equally stupid. The whole situation had me worried.

And then, as Munchkin predicted.... laser show. And man, what a show it's been. So far, it's culminated in Papi taking home the title of 2010 Home Run Derby champion for the first time in his career. You know the man was feeling good, because he wanted to participate for the first time in three years, and that trademark David Ortiz smile almost never left his face.

Despite the fact that I am completely and 100% against any Red Sox players participating in the joke that is the All-Star Festival, I couldn't be any prouder of Papi if I tried.

Anyone still want to doubt him? I'm listening.

Congratulations, David "Big Papi" Ortiz on your convincing victory in this year's home run derby!

No comments: