Friday, February 27, 2009

Manny: Are you kidding me?

Seriously? He rejected the Dodger's fourth offer? Colletti, buddy, it's time to move on. Manny and Boras are playing you like a piano. I know it's frustrating when you need that big name, and everyone on your team wants Manny back, but Manny doesn't seem very interested for a guy who wanted to retire in LA (remember, he wanted to retire in Boston first...)

Cut your losses, accept that you wasted a lot of time wooing him for nothing.

Damn, I really thought he was going to take this one. No one is going to give him 100 million dollars right now, and if that's what he's waiting for, then I hope he makes himself nice and comfortable at home because he's sitting out this year. I feel Ned Colletti's pain. Manny is very frustrating, but you put up with him because he's worth it. He provides offense. He provides comic relief. He puts fear in the hearts of opposing pitchers. But he doesn't (and I say this with all the love I could give this guy) consider anyone else. It's all Manny all the time. I can't exactly say that I hold this against him. We've been hearing over and over forever that baseball is a business, and there really isn't loyalty from the managers to the players any more.

The problem I see is that Manny affects his teammates. I'd love to be in Dodger camp right now, listening to the reactions. Those guys, from what I've read, are expecting Manny back. Now that he's rejected another offer, do you think they still have that same confidence? Do you think they're feeling good about their playoff chances this year? I honestly don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say no, they're not feeling too good right now. Manny made LA love him, and now he's holding the GM hostage.

I'm one of what I feel is the minority - people who still love Manny and want to see him suceed. Granted, I want him to suceed less than the Sox, and every once in a while I feel a little bitter toward him, but I still love the guy as a baseball player. He's fantastically entertaining both with his bat and antics. I don't care what anyone says. These antics right now aren't so funny, but most of the time, you can't help but smile.

After this past off-season, I'm wondering if perhaps Scott Boras hates his clients... He doesn't seem to be doing them any favors. But that's irrelevant. For all we know, this decision was all Manny, because he believes he's still gonna get that really, really big payday. Maybe he wants to be paid more than Slappy annually. I don't know if that's possible, but if that's what he's holding out for...

Listen, I said a few weeks (months?) ago that I wouldn't be surprised to see Manny miss spring training. It's not like he ever cared about it before, so there's no real sense of urgency there for him. When he does get a contract he likes, and I'm not saying he will, he'll show up in shape and ready to go. I guess that comes along with that whole Manny being Manny thing...

No comments: