Thursday, February 26, 2009

Joshua: Sharper than Last Year

...but I'm not going to read much into it. Just as I don't much care that Wake gave up three runs. It's spring training. This is the perfect time for him to allow runs and work out kinks with his pre-owned catcher (I can't entirely say Bard is new, because he's not, so he must be preowned). I'm still trying to feel out a nickname for Bard. I didn't give him one the first time around because I refused to like him... you know, I had Dougie withdrawls. But now that I know Dougie isn't coming back, I'm willing to embrace Bard and support him 100%, so he obviously needs a nickname. It will come, in time...

In two innings of work against college kids, Joshua allowed no runs, no walks, and got two strikeouts. For the first spring game of the year, that wasn't bad at all. Then again, they are just college kids and Josh should be striking them out and not giving up hits. I saw video of how his 2 innings went. He looked ok. I'm content with it, but I'll reserve my excitement for the next time he pitches.

I'm also not going to go all crazy about the way our offense couldn't string together hits tonight, nor am I going to lose my mind about the fact that Jacoby Ellsbury picked up right where he left off in terms of frustrating me with his annoying habit of swinging at the first pitch. Patience, young CRW. Let your pitch come to you. You're our lead-off hitter, you're going to need to be able to get on base. Luckily, you have the entire spring to work out your issues with not being able to wait for the right pitch.

Dahmer looked pretty good, as did Fetus and the new guys/kids. Again, limited sample size, so I'm not going to get worked up. It was just really neat to be able to see live baseball again.

Now I want live, meaningful baseball!

No comments: