Thursday, August 13, 2009

Josh Beckett: Making My 201st post a Happy One!

No doubt about it, when Beckett is pitching the way we know he can, I am enthralled. He befuddled the Tigers the other day and it was great. It's extra great that it gave me the opportunity to use the word 'befuddled.' You'd be surprised how infrequently I get to use it!

Two Tigers got solo home runs off of my dearest Josh. They only ended up with three hits, so you know, perfectly acceptable. This game, in particular, has made the whispers of Cy Young pop back up for Beckett.

I want to stop these whispers now. He's not going to win the Cy Young, and I'll just get my hopes up and get angry again like I did in '07. My guess is that it's going to Halladay, and he has the numbers to deserve it. But there's still a month and a half left to the season, so things can change. All the reasons that CC won in 07 have become the argument for Halladay in 09. Let's take a look, shall we?

2007
Beckett 20-7, 3.27 ERA, 200.0 IP, 189 H, 76 R, 73 ER, 17 HR, 40 BB, 194 K, 5 HBP
Stupidface 19-7, 3.21 ERA, 241 IP, 238 H, 94 R, 86 ER, 20 HR, 37 BB, 209 K, 8 HBP

2009 - so far
Beckett 14-4, 3.10 ERA, 3 CG, 157 IP, 132 H, 61 R, 54 ER, 12 HR, 42 BB, 145 K, 4 HBP
Halladay 12-5, 2.73 ERA, 5 CG, 165 IP, 158 H, 55 R, 50 ER, 14 HR, 21 BB, 138 K, 3 HBP

Beckett's ERA's a little higher, and the IPs are lower... it's early, still. I know. And no, I'm not letting Stupidface into this year's Cy discussion. I don't think he deserves another one, since he clearly did not really deserve the one he got two years ago. All the good in the world that did him. He couldn't manage to beat his main Cy competition head to head. Questionable. I guess that's what an extra 40 IP will do to you by the end of the season!

According to my super scientific method of counting out the days in the schedule, Beckett's got about 9 starts left to shine those numbers up a little bit. Think he could do I? I sure do.

Oh, and don't think for a second that I haven't appreciated all of the offense from Kaz and Mikey. Granted, yesterday's game was a little less than spectacular on the offense side of things, but we were missing JD, Munchkin, AND Asshat. Hard to win games without two of your major offensive weapons. No, I don't count JD as a major offensive weapon. Munchkin and Asshat? Yes.

FoxSports is reporting that my beloved Alex Gonzalez has cleared waivers and can be traded to any team. Do I dare to even give myself hope????

No comments: