Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Westmoreland: Reports Look Good

According to the Red Sox website, the surgery performed on 19 year-old Ryan Westmoreland was a success. Obviously, he's still got a very long way to go before we see just how successful or detrimental this operation was to his daily life, but reports are looking good. You don't have to know the guy to be worried about him. I hate medical issues in general, but they always seem so much less fair when they're happening to kids.

I know. I'm only a few years older than him. How very condescending of me to call him a kid. Actually.... no one would have known that if I didn't write it, so that's fine. Hell, I call Munchkin a kid, and he's actually older than me, so what do I know? Point is, Red Sox Nation and just about everyone else who heard this story was rooting for him to come through it alright, especially considering the risky part of the brain that the surgery had to take place in. Looks like he'll be ok. Now we can all worry about his recovery, and we'll have to make sure to cheer extra loud for him when he makes his debut at Fenway in a few years. Surgery's over, but you still have the support of a nation of strangers, Ryan. Good luck with the recovery!

In other, less important news, the Red Sox forgot their bats in both of the games of the split squad double header yesterday, tallying up a total of zero runs for the day. Not gonna lie. This troubles me a little, but it's fine because it's only March 17th. Now, if we get to say, March 28th and we're not scoring runs, then I will be worried. Man, I hate team-wide slumps. I'm sure they'll be just fine though. They have my boy, Mikey!

Lackey, who is severely lacking a good nickname, will be on the mound for us today. He's had a very nice start to his spring so far, so let's see if he can keep it up. I do believe the game will be televised today, so anyone who's not spending the entire day drinking in honor of St. Patrick might be able to catch the game. Happy St. Paddy's Day, peeps!

No comments: